AvSax Fire Containment Bag For Small Appliance Lithium Ion Battery Fires
AvSax® are a lightweight, vacuum-packed fire containment bag designed to mitigate Lithium Ion powered devices or battery packs that are going into thermal runaway (feeling hot to the touch or venting - smoke), with the additional benefit of low level blast, fragmentation and fireball containment.
During thermal runawaythere is often high-velocity expulsion of hot particulates including molten aluminium, melted or carbonized plastic bits, and solid chunks of copper. AvSax® have undergone extensive testing and utilise the patented BlastSax® technology. AvSax® are unique and are the only product of its type in the world.
Very few people are aware there is always the possibility that the rechargable lithium-ion batteries inside mobile phones, ipads, tablets, e-cigarettes and laptops could overheat and dramatically catch fire and they are hard to extinguish as the runaway process produces oygen..
When this happens it's called thermal runaway. If one cell in a battery overheats it can produce enough heat – up to 900°C (1652°F) – to cause adjacent cells to overheat too. If this happens in the confined space of an aircraft if can have potentially catastrophic consequences but fireproof AvSax lithium battery fire containment bags - also known as burn bags, firebags or thermal containment bags - can significantly reduce that danger in seconds.
Simply pour in at least 2 litres of water and pop the overheating device into the AvSax fire containment bag. If the device is on fire the flames will need dousing with a fire extinguisher first before putting it into the AvSax. The bag’s polymer gel inside expands to totally surround the device, instantly cooling it down to minimise the risk. More water can be added if needed. If the device continues to vent, the AvSax is designed to absorb the force of an exploding lithium-ion battery.
- Will contain a small lithium-ion battery fire such as a laptop, mobile phone, tablet etc.
- An AvSax can cope with an 1865 type battery/ 100 watt going into full runaway
- Will mitigate small explosive devices.
- AvSax is now on more than 16,770 aircraft – both fixed wing and helicopters - operated by more than 100 companies including some of the biggest names in the industry.
- Can also be used to mitigate letter bombs
- Can be used to safely store an appliance after it has been extinguished to prevent re-ignition.
- Outer material complies to standard FAR25.853.
- Dimensions: 470 X 270 X 60mm (vacuum packed)
- Activated dimensions: 540mm x 450mm x 150mm
- Weight empty: 1.67 kilos
- Activated weight: Typically 6 to 10Kg
Uses BlastSax® Technology NSN: 1385-99-667-0619. Patent Number GB2527401: “A method and apparatus for
controlling a hazardous device.”
- Lightweight, portable and quick to deploy.
- Minimum 5-year lifespan.
- Can suppress fragmentation.
Part Number: 001015
This product can be found in:
Floodsax sandless sandbags Products
Back to top